Monday, January 2, 2012

The Best Baseball Christmas Present Ever.....

So if you look at my blog you can guess that I am a big Kansas City Royals fan.  Been one forever.  Grew up about 3 hours from the stadium.  Always looked forward to getting the new schedule and sitting down with my dad and figuring out which games we were going to.  We usually made the trip a couple of times per year for at least  3-4 games.

Thought 1980 was the greatest year ever.  Followed George Brett's pursuit of .400 with a passion as well as their 1st World Series appearance.  Then thought 1985 was the greatest year ever.  The lone Kansas City World Series Championship.  Kept following them through high school and college.  Even kept a daily updated chart during Brett's pursuit of 3000 hits.

After Brett retired my interest really took a hit.  Not only was my favorite player gone, but the Royals were  bad, really bad, for a really long time.  Jump ahead to 2008, Royals still bad, but wife surprised me with a 13 game ticket package for the 2009 season.  Now, I will say this, I got lucky.  I married a baseball fan and someone that not only accepts my passion for baseball and card collecting but also participates as well.

Since both of us are teachers we share the same schedule, which is nice when planning what games we go to including our first ever trip to Spring Training in 2009.  We continued that ticket package in 2010 and 2011 and went back to Spring Training last year.  She says we can do Spring Training every other year!  I guess I can accept that :)

Then the Best Christmas Present Ever.....from the Greatest Wife Ever.....yes, I am biased.


It gets better though, she just didn't agree to get 2 Tickets to the All Star Game in 2012, the first in Kansas City since 1973.  (**My parents went to this and left me at home.  I guess, me being 2 months old at the time had something to do with their poor decision!**).  She also agreed to up our ticket package so we are guaranteed to get All Star Tickets.  We are now the proud owners of 2 Half-Season Tickets to see the 2012 Kansas City Royals.  Fortunately, the Royals are currently in the midst of a successful rebuilding stint that has seen many draft picks make it to the big leagues.  With players like Hosmer and Moustakas leading the way, I can only hope that a future season in Kansas City will end like 1985.  Thanks to the Best Wife in the World!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! I assume you'll post plenty of pictures of the festivities, so I look forward to that. Kaufmann is a great stadium and should be a great host for the All-star game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is an awesome Christmas present! I got to go to the All-Star game this past year in Phoenix and it was awesome! You are going to have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cool wife. Enjoy the season and the All-Star game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's outstanding! I keep threatening my wife that I am going to buy season tickets to the Royals (even though I live in CA). :-)

    ReplyDelete