Wednesday, February 16, 2011

1980 Topps Set Want List Updated

After sorting through my recent eBay purchase of over 900 1980 Topps cards I have narrowed my want list down to 26 cards from 100.  I guess spending $15.00 to get 74 cards checked off the list was worthwhile.  What is even better is that I can now go through my binder and replace some of my worn cards with ones in better condition.  While I honestly don't care what condition they are in, I will go ahead and upgrade as many as I ca.  I consider this eBay purchase to be one of my best.  I got many cards I didn't have plus I now am able to help others that may be working on this set so if that is you leave me a message.

One of the cards that I needed included 1997 Hall of Famer Phil Niekro.  The knuckleballer finished with over 300 career wins and over 3000 strikeouts.  Bobby Murcer once said, "trying to hit him is like trying to eat Jell-O with chopsticks.
Another card I needed is of Los Angeles Dodger shortstop Bill Russell.  Russell was one of my favorite non-Royal players when I was growing up since I played shortstop in Little League.  Bill is also a fellow Kansan, hailing from Pittsburg.  Bill was a 3-time All-Star and 2-time World Champion but may be most notable for taking over as the Dodger manager in 1996 until 1998 when he was let go along with GM Fred Claire.  This all followed the trade of Mike Piazza to the Florida Marlins which neither Russell nor Claire new anything about.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on finishing the 1980 set. I'm also working on that one. I might have some doubles laying around if you want to trade.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to trade. Let me know what you have and I will look around for some stuff off your lists as well.

    ReplyDelete