Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thorzul Helps with Three Years of Topps Wants

Bill over at Thorzul Will Rule and I completed our first trade.  He sent over some Topps cards from the last 3 years.  I am going to highlight a few of the cards that I consider really cool.  The first is a 2009 Josh Bard.  In a previous post I stated that my favorite position on the field was behind the dish.  Although the card doesn't depict Bard in action, I still like the catchers in full gear rather than with a bat in their hand.  Bard pictured with the Padres is now a backup behind former Royal and current Mariner, Miguel Olivo.


The 2010 cards shown are that of reliever Scot Shields and 2B Mike Aviles.  The shot of Shields should leave no doubt as to the strains put on a pitcher's arm.  No wonder some of the ligaments just snap.  Speaking of which, and I can say former Royal now, Mike Aviles came off Tommy John surgery during the 2009 season.  As of today, Aviles is a member of the Red Sox being traded for a utility infielder and minor league pitcher.  Aviles had struggled early in the season but recovered with a stint at AAA and was recently called back up only to be sent packing.


The 2011 highlights include 2 of my favorite action cards.  The first is the Indians' Jason Donald getting the White Sox Alexei Ramirez in a rundown.  Donald has played the whole season with the Indians' AAA team in Columbus but recently landed on the DL with a knee injury.  The next card is that of Rangers' SS Elvis Andrus turning the double play as Giants' Cody Ross slides into second.  Andrus is currently batting .281 with 110 hits for the A.L. Western Division leaders.


I have always appreciated good action photography on cards.  Although Topps has struggled in the photography department over the years, they do appear to be getting better with their action shots.  I want to thank Bill again for completing our first trade together.

No comments:

Post a Comment