Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goodbye to 2011, Hello to 2012

Now that the new year is here, it is time to offer some reflection on 2011 and set some goals for 2012.  Keeping up with this blog was better, but not exactly like I had planned at the beginning of 2011.  I hope that I can continue to keep posting throughout the year, although my school and coaching schedule often dictate my posting (or lack thereof).  I started my EMAW series (for those Kansas State fans) and I hope to continue that this year.  Like everything else, I just need to dedicate some time to get the posts done.

One thing that I did do more of in 2011 was making trades with some great bloggers.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the cards we have exchanged and that made quite a dent into many of my needs.  I hope to continue that but on a much more frequent basis.

I started my first vintage set last year which happens to be my birth year, 1973.  Besides a few random cards I already had in my collection, I have made some pickups via card shows, trades, the Topps Giveaway, and eBay.  I now have 43.5% of the set, and you can see my 1973 Topps Want List here.  If you have read any of my posts, I am not concerned too much with the condition of my vintage sets so I will consider most conditions of cards.  I personally think it is just cool to have the older cards in my possession.

My first year of collecting cards was in 1980, and it became the inspiration for 26 Cent Summer.  I was able to finish that set through various sources, but it was my first set completed since starting this blog and I have many of you to thank for it.  After finishing the 1980 Topps set, I switched to 1983.  I am currently down to 13 cards left to completion that you can see on my 1983 Topps Want List here.  Again, condition is not really a priority here.

Finally, I worked on the last few years of Topps sets.  I could have these done if I were more active in trading, and I really don't go buy boxes of the stuff.  I usually just pick up a few random packs and blasters here and there.   In the recent past I have focused mainly on just the Topps Base set but I did venture into Heritage territory this year.  I still have quite a few cards to go there especially with all the SP's.  Again, here is my Want List page here.  I really don't go after all of the subsets so you can check out my Items for Trade here.

So what is in store for 2012.  I list for you my goals that I hope to see to completion by the end of the year (in order of importance to me).

1.  Complete the 1973 Topps Set.  43.5% Complete.
2.  Complete the 1983 Topps Set.  98.4% Complete.
3.  Complete the 2000 Topps HD Set.  76% Complete.
4.  Complete the 2009-2012 Topps Base Sets.  2009 was when I really got back into collecting somewhat seriously (to me anyway) so I would like to get these finished off.  
5.  Start working on 1 set per decade beginning with the 1970s.  Of course, I have 1973 and 1983 started.  I don't know what set I wills start with in the 1990s and 2000s.  I will probably survey what I have before choosing one.  I do know that upon completion of my 1973 and 1983 sets, I will move on to  1975 (George Brett rookie, check) and 1981 (the Hat set).

Good luck to all of you with your 2012 Collecting Goals.  May you, your families, and your collections have a wonderful 2012.

2 comments: