Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Most Recent Addition to the Brett Collection

With the start of this blog and the start of summer, I hope to be adding more cards to my George Brett Collection.  Growing up a Royals fan, Brett was just starting what would be a Hall of Fame career when I was old enough to follow the team.  When I started collecting in 1980 my main focus was to obtain more cards than my friends.  It seemed that every chance we got we were going to the store to pick up a new pack.  Once I entered college and got back into collecting, I realized my collection would need to be much more focused and since Brett was winding down his career I decided to try to obtain every one of his cards (X3).  Why settle for one when you can have three of them and it would look much more impressive to have pages with a whole row of the same card.  That was fine until the most dreaded event happened....retirement.  Of course, that was when the hobby was beginning to explode with inserts and parallels.  While I have obtained just about all of his cards from his career, I haven't even broken through with the cards that have came after his retirement.  While this keeps my chase alive, it is frustrating to know that my goal is impossible to attain.  However, we keep trying and every chance I get to obtain a few more, I will pick them up.  On a recent trip to Dallas, I ran across Nick's Sportscards.  This is one of the nicest, friendliest shops I have been too.  It was great to be able to walk into a store and be surrounded by sportscards instead of people playing some fantasy card game.  Most of the shops within an hour of where I live have either went out of business, consider sportscards a secondary business, or are just plain trashy.  I was able to pick up a few cards to add to my collection and this is my favorite purchase from Nick's, a 2008 Donruss Threads.

4 comments:

  1. Man, the 1/1 and paralells makes player collecting so frustrating, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes it extremely frustrating. I resigned myself to the fact it wasn't going to happen. On top of that, the affordability of some of those cards makes it impossible as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a cool shop, even if it is two states away. Does Concordia have a shop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,

    I was wondering if you'd be interested in a trade. I have a ton of Royals cards im looking to get rid (no junk wax) so email me if your interested. I collect Cubs cards so maybe we can work something out: Cubsareawesome5@aol.com

    thanks -Chris
    oncardautos.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete