Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Summer of 1980

The summer of 100 degree heat, the chase for .400 by George Brett, and the Royals winning the pennant.  I have great memories of this summer as I began collecting baseball cards.  I remember heading to the grocery store every Saturday morning and begging my mom to buy me a pack of cards, and then whenever I was able to put together at least 26 cents I would hop on my bike and head there myself.  You might wonder why 26 cents?  Well, I learned the hard way that just because the sticker says 25 cents that doesn't mean that a quarter is all you need.  The first time I went to the grocery store by myself I had to go back home and find that damn penny to pay for sales tax.  The 1980 Topps set is my favorite because of that summer, and I hope that the summer of 2010 will give me time to go back and finish putting that set together 30 years later.

1 comment:

  1. Great start to your blog. I have been hoping that someone would start one on the Royals. Seems like they get no love, even here in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete