Sunday, November 11, 2012

COMC Pickups - Long Live the Mitchell Report

On my recent purchase from COMC, I was able to pick up a couple of the 2000 Upper Deck Legends Legendary Jersey cards that I needed.  The first is one of my least liked players that I ever saw, albeit a very colorful one.  The Jose Canseco card is pretty blah with a plain white jersey swatch which, I guess, accurately describes how I feel about him now.  Although his 462 home runs should be impressive in most books, the fact that it was aided by performance-enhancing drugs tarnishes his record.


There was an interesting conversation on MLB Network Radio this morning in which Billy Beane basically dismissed the suspension of Bartolo Colon in deciding to bring him back for the 2013 season.  When you look at that, plus the fact that other users are currently still in the game in playing and coaching positions, you wonder if the "user" label really means anything anymore.  Do we too easily dismiss the transgressions of these players because they are athletes, or are we really being forgiving in doing so???

My second pickup is of another PED user, Matt Williams.  Williams, a current coach for the Diamondbacks, hit 378 home runs during his career.  He claimed to use HGH to recover from an ankle injury.  However, with his name on the "list" there will always be people who will want to put the "asterisk" next to his name also.  At least, I sort of like this card.  At least he wasn't as much of an *#$%@ as Canseco still is.


I picked up 2 cards that I needed.  Both were very cheap.  They will go into their place of helping me complete this insert set.  As Forest Gump would say, "That is all I have to say about that."


1 comment: