Monday, October 22, 2012

Card Show Pickups

On Sunday, a friend of mine, my wife, and I travelled up the road to the Olathe, KS Hampton Inn for the local card show.  It looks like this is a recurring show on the 2nd weekend of every other month.  This was the first time that any of us had been to this particular show.  There were 11-12 different dealers there and I must say that I was somewhat disappointed.  I had taken my list of cards I needed for a couple of sets, but found nothing from them.  I was especially looking to try to finish up the last 17 cards of my 1973 Topps set, but I came up empty.  There was only 1 dealer that was selling any wax boxes but none of those were from the last 2 years, and most were just selling a ton of patch and auto cards that I don't really care about.

I was able to make a couple of purchases.  Being close to KC, there were a couple of dealers with some George Brett cards.  After leaving my wife to browse through the box (and she has a pretty good eye for what I need) we walked away with 4 Brett cards.  One was a 1989 Topps Wax Box bottom, a 1993 Kraft Singles Superstar, a 1991 Sports Educational, and my favorite, 1 1993 Cardtoons.


According to cardtoons, "True" Brett is one of the legendary Old West figures to have played professional baseball.  Some of the others include...Bat Masterson, Wild Ball Hickock, Billy the Say Hey Kid, and Buffa-Low Ball Bill.  There were others listed, but I will stop there.  You have to love unlicensed cards......

My steal for the show came from what I was told a 10 cent box.  When I showed the dealer the 20 cards that I got, he asked if I got them out of box he pointed at.  I guess he wasn't wanting to get rid of them for 10 cents each, but based on the condition, he honored his original offer.  I pulled $2.00 worth of cards and came away with some pretty rough cards from 1958, 1959, 1963, and 1964.  Nothing I needed, but just pretty cool to add to my collection.  At only $2.00, I considered it a bargain and at least I had heard of some of the names!!!



I probably impressed my wife by only spending $5.00 although I had to trouble her for the money as none of the dealers had enough change to break a $20.00 bill.




No comments:

Post a Comment