Sunday, July 14, 2013

Card Show Haul #1 - 55 Bowman

Yesterday, a good friend of mine and myself had a great baseball card day.  The day started at the Baseball Card Store in Shawnee, KS.  I was able to pick up about 200 cards that I needed from the 2012 and 2013 Topps Series I, II, Update, and Heritage sets.  As a result of that, my wantlist for those sets is nearing completion.  Feel free to take a look at it here.

We then headed to the Independence Mall in Independence, MO for one of their card shows that they have usually every 2-3 months.  For the first time, I went to the shop and show with a few goals in mind.  One of which was to find a card from the 1950s, preferably one from a set in which I had no cards.

My last stop of the day, got me that card.  Turn on the color TV folks because I present to you my first 1955 Bowman, card #175 of Kansas City A's catcher Wilmer "Billy" Shantz.


Billy would play parts of three seasons with the Philadelphia/Kansas City A's and the New York Yankees.  His career line included a .257 batting average with 2 home runs and 29 runs batted in.  His 6'1" 160 pound frame might be the reason he didn't cut it as a big league catcher.  He is probably best known for being the brother of 1952 A.L. M.V.P. Bobby Shantz.  Welcome to your new home Billy!

No comments:

Post a Comment