Sunday, July 7, 2013

New Set Project - 1975 Topps

Even though I still have 2 cards left to complete my 1973 Topps Set, I thought I would try to get started on my next conquest.  I had chosen 1973 because that is my birth year so why 1975?  It contains the rookie card of my favorite player, George Brett, and it is just so damn colorful!

I had already accumulated a small stack of 75s previously.  I was also able to get a lot of 46 cards off eBay recently for $5.50 shipped.  Here are three of those cards...with a Kansas City connection, of course.


Diego Segui lives in the Kansas City area and makes frequent stops at Kansas City Athletics reunions.  Ken Brett, brother of George, ended his career playing alongside George during the 1980 and 1981 seasons.  Finally, Paul Splittorf, a lifelong Royal who was drafted by the club in 1968, won 166 games during his career, and ended as a great broadcaster until his death in 2011.

I can't help but wonder what was going through the Topps executive's minds when the set designers came up with this one.  It has to be the most colorful set produced, and I am looking forward to the challenge of putting this one together.

You can find my wantlist here.  Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment