Sunday, March 18, 2012

COMC Purchase - 1983 Topps and One Card Challenge Request

I recently made my first purchase on COMC which eventually led to a delivery of 116 cards I needed for various sets I am building.  You will see some more posts in the upcoming days about what I received.  I was in a discussion with a friend of mine the other day about COMC vs. eBay.  I tend to like both a lot.  However, if I am needing something specific, I will most likely head to COMC to handle those needs.  I think just about 95% of the cards I bought were less than the listed price thanks to the "make an offer" option.  The S&H can be a problem when you add it up.  $25.00 to ship doesn't sound too reasonable at first, but if I figure what it would have cost me to get the same items on eBay, it turns out to be a pretty good deal.  Of course, you will want to wait until you have a good number of cards to ship to make it as reasonable as possible.  I went ahead and spent an additional $4.00 on the standard shipping vs. the economy shipping.  I think it was well worth it.  My cards all came in sleeves inside a small storage box which was securely packed inside a larger box.  Much better than some of the stuff you get through eBay sellers.

Anyway, my first group of cards I want to show are from the 1983 Topps set.  I needed four of these but I upgraded one of my checklist cards with one that wasn't marked.  My favorite card from this lot was the 1982 Stolen Base Leaders card.  Tim Raines led the N.L. with a very impressive 78 steals, but the 1982 season was Rickey Henderson's 130 base swipes which stands as the modern day record.  It is only surpassed by Hugh Nicol's 138 stolen bases during the 1887 season with the Cincinnati Red Stockings.


This leaves me with one remaining 1983 Topps card, a Whitey Herzog #186.  I have posted this over at Night Owl's One Card Challenge.  While my first one card challenge was unsuccessful since I ended up getting it at Wes' Baseball Cards in Lincoln, NE, I hope someone will be able to help me out with this one.  I have also posted another challenge which is a 2000 Topps HD Sean Casey #76.  I hope someone out there can help me out with these.

No comments:

Post a Comment