Sunday, February 12, 2012

Local Card Shop - The Baseball Card Store - Shawnee, KS

Living in north central Kansas does not lend itself to being able to go to your local card shop and pick up a pack of anything.  In fact, I would just about consider our local Pamida as my LCS if it weren't for the extremely limited supply.  If I look at all the card shops (or supposed card shops) within an hour of my house, I would find one that looks like it hasn't had new stock since the 1980s and it tends to my a gathering place for those 30 somethings guys that live with their parents and play Magic: The Gathering all day (**Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I am not here to judge.**).  I would also find another one in which the card shop looks like it was inhabited by a bunch of RC (remote-control NOT rookie card) enthusiasts.  It is just hard to find a good card shop whose primary purpose is actually baseball cards.  Now I suppose the economy has much to do with that, but nevertheless, it is extremely disappointing.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to get out and meet up with a good friend of mine to visit some card shops in the Kansas City area.   I first decided to stop by a shop that I found this summer in Topeka only to find that the store front had a "For Lease" sign in the window.  I was disappointed as I really enjoyed my visit with the owner there this summer.  I was able to pick up a bunch of supplies that I needed.  Unfortunately, being an hour and 45 minutes from my house didn't lend itself to frequent stops.  Disappointed, we headed to Kansas City where my phone internet and GPS helped us locate a few stores in the area.


The first one (and the only one) we visited was The Baseball Card Store.  Now you might think, that is a rather uninspiring name, but to me it is perfect.  It tells me exactly what I am going to find.  It doesn't have the word "collectables" or "hobby" in the name to hide the fact that their primary purpose isn't cards.  I want baseball cards and I FOUND BASEBALL CARDS.  The store is kind of hidden away in one of those 1990s suburban mini malls.  Unfortunately, many of the store fronts appeared empty.  However, the store was anything but.

We entered to find display cases of cards and walls full of boxes.  I believe, the owner Scott and his son were the ones manning the store yesterday.  We visited briefly, as I got right into sorting through some 2009-2010-2011 Topps boxes to fill my want list.  An hour and a half later I came out with around 200 cards from my lists, a 2012 Topps Series I set, and a box of card pages.  All of which were very reasonably priced.  And the good news I overheard, was that the store had been busy all day!  I hope this means that The Baseball Card Store is here to stay for a long time.

Since I will be heading to Kansas City this summer for Royals games and All Star Game, I plan on becoming a regular at the store.  Even though I am about 3 hours away, this store has become my new LCS.

Store hours are Tues-Fri 12:30-6:00 and Sat 11:00-4:30.

4 comments:

  1. Which one closed? I live just outside Topeka. Was it Al's or R&D?

    I'm getting ready to take in my Home Run Legend redemption and don't want to waste a trip.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit that shop on a business trip to KC once. I've always wanted to get back there. Great guy and a great shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking to see if we had a pic of our shop anywhere on line I could use on my blog, and found a link to your post here--I'm glad you had a good experience with us! We've been at that location for the last 10 plus years, and are a small family owned business, so it will always be either Scott, myself, and/or one of our three sons there to help you.


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took my daughter in today to the store. The guys are so nice there. They hooked her up with some basketball cards she was looking for. It made her day. The prices were very reasonable. Gotta dig my old sets out from the 70's and 80's to finish off a few of my sets.

    ReplyDelete