Monday, February 6, 2012

To Buy or Not to Buy 2012 Topps - That is the Question

I have always considered myself more of a set collector so I have enjoyed the opportunity to sit down and open and few packs/blasters for the products that I buy.  So I didn't think there would be any reason not to head to Wal-Mart or Target and pick up so packs of 2012 Topps when they came out this week.  I was actually ready to drive the 35 miles to the nearest store that night.  However, I fought the urge and then something came over me.  What if I didn't buy any packs of 2012 Topps?  Would that go against everything I have done in the hobby?  Would my wife be singing the Hallelujah Chorus when I passed up the card aisle?



After reading many blogs, I have seen a backlash to this year's set for many reasons that are I agree are valid.  However, my decision has nothing to do with the negative feelings about Topps.  I actually like the set although I am in agreement that the inserts may be a bit of a bore.  But the photography is, perhaps, the best it has ever been.  For the first time this year, I sat down and came up with some collecting goals this year.  They were put down in this blog post.  So I thought, could I still fulfill my goals without opening a pack of 2012 Topps.  The answer was YES!  But can I REALLY keep myself from doing that?

After the first of the year, I got the blog going again since I hadn't posted much since school had started.  Teaching and coaching will sometimes put an end to that extra time I had.  I went to a card show in Kansas City in the fall where I picked up a bunch of 1973 commons to go into that set I am building, and from there I began browsing eBay and picking up 20-30 cards here and there.  I also made some trades where I started to really fill my 2009-2011 Topps want lists.  The next thing I know I am more concerned with finishing some of the things that I have started and less interested in breaking into another new set only to have it fill space in my want lists.  Now, I am not going to give up on 2012 Topps.  I have the fullest intention of collecting the set as well as some of the variations, like the Eric Hosmer and Billy Butler ones.  But I am bound and determined to keep 2012 Topps off my want list and get that thing down to just a handful of sets.  I can do that if I can focus my attention (and $$$) on my other sets.  My wife probably won't be happy that this action doesn't result in less spending on cards!

Sounds like a good doesn't it!!!  But wait, what could be the negative from all of this.  Most of my trades have been for the Topps inserts that I don't collect.  I have been able to fill much of my base card needs by sending my unwanted inserts to some of you.  If I don't buy packs, where will I get my trade bait?  I guess the answer is "in the cards" that I currently have.  We will see how this experiment goes.  I know I can't quit pack opening completely, but I can delay it a bit.  I fully intend to buy me some Topps Heritage when they come out in March.  Until then, send me your trades.  My items for trade list is updated here.  If you don't find something you want, but you still have something on my want list, just ask.  I am sure we could work something out.

Do that have a POA help group?  Pack Openers Anonymous, anyone want to join me.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a group I need to join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was the show you attended in KC? I'm from the area and it's getting to be more difficult finding good card shows year to year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The show I attended was at the Independence Mall. There are also some shows coming up in the next couple of months in Olathe. I have not been to any there though.

    ReplyDelete